Frequently asked questions
Why is financial planning so important?
Your super is one of the biggest assets you’ll likely have, and it needs to be actively managed. Because your priorities and circumstances change throughout your life, it’s important to monitor your super along the way and make any adjustments to your strategy in order to maximise your retirement savings.
When seeking financial advice, it’s essential to consult a qualified planner - not everyone is equipped to understand and assess your personal circumstances. Maritime Super’s financial planners are highly experienced and are authorised to provide advice under an Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL No 241735).
When is it worthwhile getting financial advice?
It pays to put a financial strategy in place as early as possible – ideally as soon as you start full-time work. In fact, the earlier you implement a financial strategy, the better off you’ll be down the track.
Getting financial advice is worthwhile when you:
- change jobs and are looking at your super options
- are worried about investment markets or just need some sound advice about investing your super or pension
- need advice about insurance
- get married or divorced
- receive an inheritance or redundancy payment
- are approaching retirement; and
- are retired and need your retirement savings to go the distance.
It’s also important to review your super and retirement strategy from time to time and make any necessary adjustments to stay on track.
How can Maritime Super’s financial planners help you?
Whether it’s helping you with a comprehensive financial plan or choosing an investment strategy for your super savings, our financial planners can help you identify your financial goals and outline what you need to do to achieve them.
From basic super questions to complex financial matters, they can provide expert, personalised advice on:
- identifying your investor profile and helping formulate your investment strategy
- making the appropriate level of contributions to boost your savings
- protecting you and your family with adequate insurance cover
- funding the retirement lifestyle you desire
- estate planning; and
- social security.
To meet our financial planners, click here.
Where are Maritime Super’s financial planners located?
Our financial planners are located in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Fremantle. If you can’t make it into one of our offices, no need to worry; our financial planners regularly travel around Australia and can come to you. Alternatively, they’re just a phone call away on 1800 757 607.
What do you need for a meeting with a financial planner?
When you see a financial planner, it’s worthwhile doing some advance preparation so you get the most from your meeting.
A good starting point is to get together the following documents to take along to your meeting:
- latest annual benefit statement
- benefit statements for any other funds where you hold accounts
- a copy of your latest tax return and tax assessment
- information on any insurance policies;
- information on any assets and liabilities you hold outside superannuation.
We’ve prepared a handy checklist to help you get started – click here to download a copy.
What does it cost?
As a Maritime Super member, you’re entitled to an initial consultation with one of our financial planners free of charge. There’s absolutely no obligation to proceed beyond this point, but if you would like some financial advice your planner can guide you through your options and costs.
To give you a rough idea of costs, on average:
- advice that covers one or two areas can range from $200 - $600.
- advice that covers a comprehensive financial plan can range from $1500 - $2000.
There are no hidden fees or charges, so you’ll know upfront exactly how much you will be paying.
Members can also receive limited advice about investments and salary sacrifice strategies over the phone at no cost. This means that you can ask a financial planner about your investment strategy and/or salary sacrifice contribution strategy, and you’ll receive personal advice that takes into account your relevant circumstances. Call 1800 757 607 to speak with a financial planner.
How do I make an appointment?
Making an appointment is easy, simply call our Member Services team toll free on 1800 757 607 or click here to make an appointment online. If you’re based in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane or Fremantle you’re welcome to visit our offices, otherwise our planners will come to you when they next visit your area.